Warning: file_get_contents(http://graph.facebook.com/?ids=http://tv3network.com/education/ghanass-gives-students-pre-mature-vacation-over-fire-incident): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in /home/tv3net/public_html/plugins/content/bt_socialshare/bt_socialshare.php on line 955

GHANASS gives students pre-mature vacation over fire incident

Friday, 18 March 2016 13:52

First and second year students of the Ghana National Senior High School [GHANASS] have been asked to go home from Saturday following Thursday's fire outbreak at one of the school's dormitories.

They are to report on April 18 by which time the school authorities say, they would have managed to find alternative dormitory for the affected students, TV3's Yvonne Neequaye reports.

Final year students of the school are however to remain in school to prepare for their West African Secondary School Certificate Examination that is due in March 29, Yvonne added.

She said the decision to break the students was arrived at Friday afternoon after a crunch meeting between the school authorities, the Regional Educational Directorate, the Board of governors, officials of the Methodist Church in the Region and the Parent-Teacher Association.

Although the school was scheduled to go on break for the second term vacation on Wednesday March 23, they had to go on early break  as result of the fire outbreak that has left 600 first-year students, all girls, 'homeless'.

The school has also suspended the end of term examination which was being written by the students. It's not clear whether the students will be made to write the three subject papers left upon resumption.

Announcing the decision of the emergency meeting to the students Friday afternoon, Headmaster of the school, Rev. Abraham Donkor, said the vacation would allow the Architectural and Engineering Services Limited and the Ghana National Fire Service to do an assessment of the burnt dormitory as well as find the cause of the fire.

The school would in the mean time look for available structures, clean them up for use as temporary dormitory when the students resume while government and educational authorities build them new infrastructure, Yvonne reports.

Eight rooms of the girls' dormitory caught fire Thursday night at about 7:55pm at a time that they were at prep, destroying almost everything from beds, mattresses through provisions and personal effects to money. It was raining at the time.


Although the cause of the fire is not yet know, the Eastern Regional Fire Commander, Patrick Donkor, said they suspect the absence of a 'lightning arrester' on the dormitory.

]The New Juabeng District Assembly has also directed authorities to officially write to inform the assembly of the fire incident for the assembly to initiate steps at getting the school a new dormitory to house the first year students.

Although the officials of the National Disaster Mangement Organisation visited the site Thursday night to assess the situation, they are yet to offer any relief items to the affected students.

Meanwhile, the Methodist Church in Koforidua has presented some relief items including mattresses, sanitary pads, towels and cups to the affected students.


By Stephen Kwabena Effah|tv3network.com
Twitter @steviekgh